The Weekly Pep Talk #201
July 2 – 8, 2012
Words to Live By: “Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.” – Niels Bohr
WOW Woman of the Week: Cynthia Bagby is going for it. Keep it up! You are getting there!
July Birthday Girls: Marly Norris, Julie Yokoyama, Doni DeBolt, Ava Jourdain
Facebook Links – The WOW Team has a public page at http://facebook.com/gowowteam and, for Members Only, ask for an invitation to The Winners’ Circle (details in your New Members Welcome Letter)
Tip from your Coach: A mile run or walked will use about 100 calories. The difference is that 4 miles an hour (15min/mile) = 400 calories. 6 miles an hour (10 minute miles) = 600 calories. Pick up your speed and utilize those calories faster!
Upcoming Events of Note: This is not the total WOW Calendar, only certain special events.
- 50 in 100 May 1 – August 8(see details below) Help Coach Stephanie recruit 50 new members in the next 100 days. Win Prizes! 3 0 days left! Keep thinking new member. We’re making progress but we’re not there yet!
- July 4 – No WOW Workouts!!
- July 7 – Sat Morning Power Walking – What about Walking the Oakland Marathon in 2013! Details on meetup. http://www.meetup.com/GoWOWTeam/events/70445222
- July 9 – No Weekly Pep Talk this week
- July 15 – Kick-off Training for San Jose Rock’n’Roll Half Marathons at Lafayette Reservoir – full day for newcomers, short run and intro for current members.
- July 18 – Power Walking Summer Clinic continues in SF, 7:15 AM. Click here http://www.meetup.com/GoWOWTeam/events/qkfvxcyqkbxb
- July 18 – Third in Inspirational Speakers Series featuring Loretta Green-Williams in Walnut Creek
- July 18 –Women’s Run to Improve Clinic – Immediately follows our Inspirational Speaker at Las Lomas Track
- July 25 – August 22 – Fourth in the Summer Speaker’s Series. Come to Piedmont track to hear our speaker
- August 4 – Special Walker’s Training Group starts training for the Oakland Marathon. Walkers Only. Start Now! Go 26.2! Saturday training
- December 1-2 – CIM Relay Weekend – 5 teams already and sixth one is forming! Don’t miss out. Register with Coach Stephanie
- March 24, 2013 – Oakland Run Fest, 5K, Relay, Half Marathon, and Full Marathon. Train with WOW, the official women’s training club
Details for these special events are on meetup or below. For the full calendar of WOW Workouts go to our website at http://gowowteam.com/calendar
Dear WOW Members and Interested Readers,
Happy 4th of July! Happy Summer!
Thanks to Kara Waltz, Dr. of Chiropractic, who spoke to us last Wed. Her talk was educational and inspirational and I hope you enjoyed it.
We have a bit of a break between now and our next speaker. Loretta Green-Williams is a fascinating woman, 58 years old, who just qualified for the 100m sprint at the Stanford Senior Olympic Trials. Come to hear Loretta’s inspiring story of overcoming personal tragedy and knowing triumph in her ability as a runner. Loretta will join us at Las Lomas Track on July 18.
Our weekend had Saturday walkers and Sunday runners, run/walkers, and walkers. Welcome new member Rebecca and thanks to all of you who taught Rebecca what 1:1 is and what a great group of women you are, overall!
Great to see Rowena last Sunday!
Christy had several walkers lined up for Saturday at Lake Merritt. I didn’t get a report but hope everyone got some good exercise.
I’m gone starting on Sunday, for a week long Coaching course taught by United States Track and Field. We’ve got workouts as usual with our wonderful WOW Mentors pitching in. Thanks to Christy, Michaela, and Lauren for leading these workouts.
Good luck to Laura and Eileen who have races coming up on July 8th. Please report back to us on the Winners’ Circle. Remember to believe in yourselves, in your training, and in your flexibility to overcome those darn unknowns!
And now on to the topic of the day, you! I want to make sure that each of you understands what resources are available to you through WOW and briefly how they all fit together.
- The WOW Team website is the place to join our group as a long term member, to review blog posts, have access to the Members Only Area, get directions to workouts, and get a condensed version of workouts through the WOW Team Calendar. Please go to http://gowowteam.com at some point and click on the various and sundry tabs at the top.
- Meetup is the site where full details of each and every WOW workout and event are listed in chronological order. Each separate event has its own page, connected by a monthly calendar on the left. You must join the WOW Team meetup (not just meetup in general) to take advantage of most of the information. The WOW Team meetup site is also the only place to RSVP and pay if you are a drop-in. When you are a member you are not required to pay when you drop-in. Just click past the payment request section. URL for home page is http://meetup.com/gowowteam. To join Meetup, you must sign-in to meetup (one time thing) and then log-in to the Go WOW Team Meetup site every time.
- Go WOW Team on Facebook is our public, promotional page, open to the world. Anyone can join this page and make posts. URL http://facebook.com/gowowteam
- The Winners’ Circle is our group page on Facebook. The public can now search for this group and find it but only members invited to join can see or make posts. URL https://www.facebook.com/groups/244142088969843
- When you join the WOW Team as a subscribing member you are eligible for all services for the first month. There is a one time fee for membership and, for each month following you are charged a subscription fee based on the membership type you choose. Additionally, you are sent a member’s letter that details all the benefits of membership and how to access them. Your first month membership includes:
- A WOW Team T-shirt
- A WOW Team water bottle
- Invitation to The Winners’ Circle and a lifetime membership
- 5 online training modules taking you from Couch to Accomplished with lifetime updates
- Training Programs for novice to intermedates from 5K Walkers through intermediate half marathoners, written by Coach Stephanie
- The Weekly Pep Talk
- All regular workouts and most special events at no extra cost or at a discount
- Online coaching support, 3 times a week
- Track, Tempo, and Endurance workouts on a weekly basis
- Professional Coaching from award winning Coach Stephanie Atwood
- The opportunity to reach your full potential as an athlete, make friends, place fitness as a part of your daily life. WOW offers these pieces!
- And more!
Starting August 4, WOW will be training a walking group to walk the Oakland Marathon or half marathon. We will ONLY Train for walking on these Saturday workouts. If you want to run or run/walk in the Oakland Run Fest the WOW Team will provide Sunday training for the half marathon, 5K, and relay, no marathon. I’m getting the training schedule together now. If you are interested, let me know and tell your friends!
To Fitness, Friendship, and Fun,
Reminder: Please post your next race goal on The Winners’ Circle and if you want to achieve a better time or want to finish as your goal. If you have a time goal, tell me you r last race time at the distance or you most recent race, whatever distance. We need to go over real training paces to help you succeed! Are you ready to work at it? We’re picking up the pace on July 15! See you there
6 Teams for CIM Relay! I’m done recruiting
1. Coach Stephanie
2. Lauren Ganes
3. Julie Yokoyama
4. Ann Ritzma
5. Michaela Ristaino
6. Elaine Porter
7. Lizette Byer
8. Iris Torres
9. Laura Lance
10. Eileen Killory
11. Robbi Cook
12. Ellen Gordon
13. Beth Wrightson
14. Jeanetta Mack
15. Vera Chrebtow
16. Lesley Turner
We have Team 5!
17. Colleen Blakelock
18. Kathrina Weekes
19. Yesenia Rodriguez
20. Amanda Moynihan
Team 6 Full!
21. Heidi Harrison
22. Pat Chase
23. Tiffany Wheeler
24. Doni De Bolt
25. Just send me a check for $40, include your birthday, age on race day and t-shirt size and you’re in!
Prior Weeks’ Recap:
Please note that the week of July 16, we will start training again for fall races, including some half marathons. Now is your time to work out the kinks and practice with no pressure. July 15 will be our last “non-training” workout. Try to take advantage of this opportunity to join the WOW Team if you are not already a member. http://gowowteam.com/faqs/prices-and-programs-2
Over Fifty Interviews – I am starting to interview women who are still running and are over fifty. For some of you, you may have started running quite late in life. For some of you, you may have been doing this for a lifetime. Initially, I will do a recorded interview and, eventually plan to create a book from the material. If you are willing to be interviewed I would love to speak with you. All women over fifty are welcome and matter. Please tell me if you would like to participate and we will arrange a time to record the interview. Thanks!
July 28 5K/10K Race in Orinda – This link below sounds like a fun run for us to participate in. It is a trail run in one of our beautiful East Bay Parks. The price is affordable. Who else is in? July 28, Briones 5K/10K East Bay Park Runs – http://www.runintheparkseries.com/index.php/briones_5k_10k Let’s keep posting about this series on our Facebook Page at Go WOW Team or The Winners Circle.
Don’t miss out on the Speaker Series
One super speaker has already spoken. Please keep the momentum and appreciation for the effort the women make to come and speak to us.
These women are awesome and they will be sharing their stories with us and offering us fitness tidbits to put into our own bag of tricks. I’m hoping that many of you will be willing to travel back and forth between Oakland and Walnut Creek as we alternate the locations of our Speakers. You will then be able to join the clinic for the week, taught by Coach Stephanie. Details on meetup. Third Speaker July 18, Loretta Green-Willimas
San Jose Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon Here we Come!
Monday, July 16 is the first week of training for the upcoming San Jose Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon, happening on October 7. We will also train for the Humboldt Half Marathon on October 21. To RSVP for the training kick-off on July 15 go to meetup.
Current Trainees for SJRNR:
Coaching calls will re-start on July 17 on Tues at 12:15 Noon, Thurs at 12:15 Noon, Saturday at 3:15 PM. The phone number has changed. After the first month there is a separate membership fee for online coaching support. If you want to include this invaluable resource in your membership please go to the link at http://gowowteam.com/faqs/prices-and-programs-2
50 in 100
I want to increase our membership by 50 new (or returning after a year or more absence) members in 100 days and need your help. We all know that word of mouth is the absolute BEST recommendation right? So, if any of you can recruit a new member you will be eligible for a new WOW t-shirt, cap or racing singlet (to be ready in June). Here is what I need:
1. A name
2. An email address
3. A phone number
4. Permission to say that you made a referral
I will contact them by email and/or phone and mention that we want them to join us and that you felt it might be a good fit. That’s all there is to it! Thanks for your help and Go WOW Team!
Walnut Creek or Bust!
I’d love to see our Walnut Creek group grow! What are your thoughts on ways to make this happen?
Be sure to look over the Resources Page on the WOW Team website to realize ALL the VALUE of your WOW Membership. Here is the link http://gowowteam.com/resources
Post on Winners Circle every week – From Eileen’s great idea of starting a living WOW journal I am requesting that each of us post a training entry of some sort each week, on the Winners Circle. I will start today and encourage everyone to follow suit. This is a way for you to be accountable to each other and to share your thoughts and feelings about your training – ANY ASPECT! Let’s see where we can go with this. http://www.facebook.com/groups/244142088969843/295132213870830/
Upcoming random races and opportunities:
July 8, 2012 – Langley Half Marathon. Join WOW Member Laura L in running this half. http://www.langleyhalfmarathon.com/
July 28, 2012 – Run in the Park www.RunintheParkSeries.com
The 2012 Schedule is:
7/28 Briones Regional Park, Orinda/Martinez
8/11 Garin Regional Park, Hayward
9/15 Tilden Regional Park, Berkeley
9/29 Redwood Regional Park, Oakland Hills
10/13 Pt. Pinole Regional Shoreline, Richmond Fees: Early Bird: $28 thru 30 days prior, Pre-Reg: $31 thru Wed. prior, Race Day: $35
July 28, 2012 – EMERGE 5k at Almaden Lake Park in San Jose. http://www.active.com/running/san-jose-ca/emerge-3rd-annual-5k-run-walk-2012I
July 29, 2012 – http://www.thesfmarathon.com
Saturday August 25 – Pacifica Coastal 5K Run and Walk Festival 9-2:30pm www.pacresourcecenter.org/blog/?p=459
Aug 26, 2012 – Santa Rosa Marathon / Half Marathon and 5k Fun Run – thesantarosamarathon.com
Sept 21, 2012 7th Annual Run at Work Day
Saturday, Sept 29, 2012 HERS Keepabreast 5K/10K Run Walk http://www.herskeepabreast.org/
October 7, 2012 – San Jose Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-jose
October 21, 2012 – Humboldt Redwoods Half and Full Marathon http://www.redwoodsmarathon.org
November 10, 2012 Mermaid 5K, 10K – http://www.mermaidseries.com/san-francisco#!__san-francisco
November 11, 2012 Malibu Marathon, Half Marathon and Supathlon – www.malibumarathon.com / www.malibusupathlon.com
November 18, 2012 – The Lady Speed Stick® Women’s Half Marathon in Tampa, Florida. Coach Stephanie is running this.
Sunday, December 2, 2012 – CIM Marathon Relay Challenge – $120 per team through August 1 – http://www.runcim.org/page/show/219125-relay This is a WOW Team Annual Event. Join a team soon!
Saturday, December 8, 2012 – Walnut Creek Half Marathon and 5K http://www.runwalnutcreek.com
Sunday, March 24, 2013 – The Oakland Run Fest
Preferred Providers and Misc. of Interest:
- Link to You Tube Video about Minimal Shoes and Strong Feet – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtICeFOKjIs&feature=youtu.be
- Dr. Sandy Baird, Innersport Chiropractic, http://www.innersport.com
- Filomena Bettencourt, Wak Shack Salon, 782 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA 94117, Phone: (415) 255-8554 www.wakshack.com
- Dr. Kara Waltz, 5545 Claremont Avenue, Oakland, 94618, Phone: 510 379-9322 firstname.lastname@example.org
#1 – Group at Inspiration Point, Cynthia B is to the right of Coach Stephanie, photo by Lauren G
#2 – Lafayette Reservoir in January – cold! Photo by Lauren G
#3 – Iris, Heidi, and Coach Stephanie at SF Half 2011 – photo by Lauren G
Thanks to the wonderful photographers who give us so much to smile about. Photos are wonderful memories!
Note: If you have a question and are not yet a member of the WOW Team, post it on our Go WOW Team public Facebook Page and I’ll do my best to post a response there within 1 business day. Members can post on The Winners Circle, our private facebook page. I’ll check in on both. Go WOW Team!